If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we would find in each person's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility. -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Friday, December 4, 2009

Thanksgiving at the Red Sea


Thanksgiving in Egypt was new, different, but overall an awesome time for Sarah and I. Being here for nearly 4 months now, God has gone beyond answering our prayers in finding friends to walk through life with. He has given us friends who feel more and more like family in each passing day. As the pictures display below, we got to enjoy an awesome Thanksgiving dinner with great company. A few weeks before we were trying to think up some ideas for food to eat on Thanksgiving to try to make it feel like home. But fortunately we were welcomed into this home where turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and all the other Thanksgiving food items where there for us. Following our meal, 17 of us headed out to the Ain Sukna, a small town on the Red Sea, for four days of nothing but board games, football on the beach, and an occasional game of reverse hide and go seek (i'll explain later). Its always great to get away from the loudness of Cairo. It doesn't matter how much you love it, everybody needs a break from the unique elements of Cairo.


I don't care where I'm at in the world, nothing beats throwing the football around.
Caleb and my beautiful wife enjoying the sand.

One of the great games we played while at the beach was reverse hide and go seek. Basically one person hides. Then everyone goes and looks for that person, and once they find them they hide with them. This goes on until there is just one person left wandering around by themselves. Its hilarious, well if your not that person. If you listen to the video below, you can hear Amy explain the rules in a blues like fashion as I play the guitar and Caleb displays a few of his dance moves.


Caleb, Sofia, Annie, and Sarah getting ready to play the game.

Here we have 6 of us trying to hide behind one little flower pot as a few have yet to find us. Gets a little uncomfortable after awhile. I would like to take a moment and brag about my hide and go seek skills. When I hid, my spot was so good after 30 minutes of not finding me Sarah was beginning to think I was kidnapped. I was extremely proud of my hide and go seek skills, but unfortunately I had to feel the pain of laying in a ball under a bush for nearly an hour.
Sarah and I enjoying the sea. Looking at a map, I'm almost positive this is where Moses had to have parted and crossed the sea. To bad he didn't have a GPS or mapquest, he would have known he could have walked a few miles north and gone around, crazy Moses.

One of the hundred ships we saw a day headed out of Egypt.
Even a relaxing weekend can wear some out.




This is a separate occasion. My wonderful Sister and Brother-in-law sent Sarah and I an awesome care package. It was filled with numerous items. Things we just can't get here in Egypt. As you see, Sarah was excited about the beef jerkey. Lets just say it made both of our days.






3 comments:

denisie power said...

hey! LOVE you two! i love this post. that end part reminded me of what it was like in Madrid! how you really start to appreciate the little things that you just get so used to having around at your beckon call! I'm curious about what it is there in Cairo. you guys should make a post just to tell what they are. what are the things that you can't get there that you miss (even just a little bit!)?
mine were: FANS! no one sold fans in Madrid! crazy! my room was so stuffy... haha. oh, and drier. i hate the stiff cardboard line dried clothing feel... um, also ranch dressing (i live in tx...go figure :) haha). and hmm... i think i need to go read my Madrid journal. you've got me thinking!
anyhow, i want to know yours! :) por favor?? :) LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
oh, and when are you coming back for a visit??

The Irwins said...

I love to see what you guys are up to! We think about you often -

Love you!

Kelley & Jeremy

Luke&Lynn said...

We love getting to read about your new adventures! Our God is good, and its great to hear his works. Keep'em coming. We silly Americans need to hear it.